Thursday, July 22, 2010

Comic-Con "The Expendables" Panel Review

Source: ScreenCrave.com

The Comic-Con panel for the new action film, The Expendables, has to be, by far, the beefiest and the manliest panel of all time. The director, writer and star, Sylvester Stallone, will be joined by a few members of the cast including Steve Austin, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture, and Terry Crews. The panel will be moderated by Harry Knowles. I’m fairly sure that somewhere in the panel they will talk about breaking necks and just beating the living daylights out of each other.

Now it’s time for it to start! We will have a play-by-play of all the highlights from the panel…

Harry Knowles moderating:
“Aren’t you hungry for a movie that makes you want to hit the gym?”

Knowles:
“I’ll be representing estrogen up here tonight”

Terry Crews walks on stage, rips his shirt off, climbs up on the table and does dueling banjos with his pecs.

Knowles: “When I did a set visit in New Orleans, I saw a forearm that scared the shit out of me. That forearm belonged to Randy Couture.”

Stallone walks out, blue sunglasses on, Travolta Pulp Fiction white shirt and black tie, as the crowd chants “Rocky! Rocky! Rocky!”

Crews on getting cast: He had me at hello. It’s the manliest movie ever made.

Bruce Willis makes a super short special appearance, walking out to hug Stallone following his RED panel and everyone goes nuts.

Sly: “There’s never gonna be another Bruce Willis”

Knowles to the audience: “How fucking awesome is this?!?!”

Willis: “This film is huge. It’s really huge.”

Sly: “If Arnold shows up, don’t let him in. I’ve had it with him. He’s too good.” –and then Willis leaves.

Jet and Dolph have a fight scene: Sly- “Talk about David versus Goliath”


Sly’s neck was broken by Steve Austin.

Sly: “It was my own fault”
Austin: “When the writer, director and star tells you to kick the shit out of him, you kick the shit out of him.”
Sly: “I always get hurt on my best movies. I didn’t get hurt on Rhinestone. I didn’t get hurt on Stop or My Mom Will Shoot. I get hurt and it’s a great movie”


Knowles: Tunnel fight clip. I was told by people at Lionsgate that they were shocked, shocked!, that we could run this clip. It’s called “The Tunnel Fight”

Machetes, broken bones, pure carnage, Crews draws the biggest cheers from the crowd as he mows down a mini army

Knowles: “I’m a cream puff, look at me. When I was on that set…Jason statham’s sitting there playing with knives showing me all the different ways he could kill me.”

Why they shot in Brazil: Sly- “You can shoot people and blow things up and they say “Thank you! Take a monkey home with you!” We couldn’t have pulled off what we did (somewhere else). We blew up huge plots of land. It was like, Everybody bring their hot dogs. We’re having a BBQ today. We’re gonna blow up this village.”

Sly, responded to question about arm wrestling matches on set: “You know what? I hate that sport so much because I’m so bad at it. But now that you brought it up…” And then he pretends to arm wrestle Steve Austin. “Kidding, Steve. Humor.”

Sly, replying to other people who could’ve been in the movie: “I talked to Van Damme, I talked to Segal, I talked to Chuck Norris. There’s things like availability, or insanity, that makes things not work out.”

Sly, on whether he prefers acting or directing: “It’s no comparison, directing. Because I’m a power freak. A total control whore.”

Sly on what happens when you accidentally hit someone during a fight sequence: “Sometimes when that happens, you can’t wait for them to get to (the next time) so you can crack ‘em. I had that on Demolition Man. I had that on Death Race 2000 with David Carradine. But I couldn’t do anything because he was the star.”

Ends with a standing ovation

No comments: