Monday, October 4, 2010

The Sun UK: Austin Teases Wrestling Comback

Source: TheSun.co.uk

WRESTLING legend Stone Cold Steve Austin has has refused to rule out returning to the ring for one final match.

The WWE icon may have become a major movie star with new flick Hunt To Kill out on DVD this month, but says he'll always be a grapple fan at heart.

And the star, who retired from the business in 2004, admits he can't stop watching his old friends in WWE and even rival firm TNA.

In an exclusive interview with SunSport, Steve confessed: "I just love pro wrestling.

"I watch all wrestling whenever I can, I watch WWE and I watch TNA. I've just always had that passion for the sport.

"That's what inspired me to enter the ring in the first place, I watched wrestling avidly as a kid and back then it was guys battering each other in smoke filled arenas and blood flowed freely.

"And that's why I still watch WWE and TNA all the time today, it's entertaining and takes me back."

In fact, it was talking about TNA that really got Steve thinking about an in-ring comeback.

Dixie Carter's company is home to many of his old friends from his stint in ECW as well as fellow legend Hulk Hogan, who he hasn't exactly seen eye-to-eye with in the past.

Speaking about the return of so many 1980s and 1990s stars, Steve told us: "We all have opinions on who should be on TV or not, but at the end of the day it's good to see the guys getting a payday and the respect they deserve.

"Those ECW guys who are in TNA today, many of them are old road buddies of mine and I have the utmost respect for them.

"To be honest it's great to see some guys still performing out there after the injuries they've had.

"I'm lucky, you know my neck is 100 per cent these days, I can do my own stunts and fight scenes where I can. I don't claim to be a tough guy, but I give it a go.

"My neck was fixed in 2000, I had to leave the ring because of the damage, but in my normal life and movies it's fine, although wrestling wise I'd be a total mess right now.

"You know I'm hearing Hulk is talking about getting back in the ring, even though his back is messed up.

"He was a big guy and all that wear and tear takes a toll on the back and the bigger the guy, the harder it is.

"But more power to him if he thinks he's fit to step in the ring. He's the immortal and only Hulkster, so ultimately he knows his body best. I respect whatever decision he makes.

"I never thought I'd say it, but when I'm asked about one more match these days I do tend to say 'never say never'.

"So don't rule it out."

Steve added: "I sometimes wish Hogan and I had a run. Imagine how good that could have been?

"Given the chance I'd have loved to have faced legends like Harley Race, Nick Bockwinkle and Andre the Giant.

"Those guys in their prime and me in mine would have been great."

Steve Austin's new film Hunt to Kill is released on DVD and Blu-Ray on October 11 by Anchor Bay Entertainment. The action packed film — his biggest solo project to date — sees him play a Montana Border Patrol Officer dealing with a dangerous gang of criminals and rebellious teenage daughter.

No comments: